Background- FSSAI Food License
FSSAI is an abbreviation of Food Safety and security Authority of India. It is an agency which is regulated by Indian Government and Ministry of Health and Family Affairs. FSSAI is recognized under food safety and security Act, 2006. It is an organization which is made for protecting the health of the public. All the people who are involved in the food business whether, in the form of Manufacturer, traders, food business operators (FBOs) has mandatory to obtain 14-digit FSSAI number which is printed on the package of food so, that consumer can purchase it as per standard of FSSAI and safe for consumption. Get overall details about food license India.
If you are planning to start a food business, they must have food license which is issued by FSSAI authority. No one can commence its food business without license otherwise penal provision shall apply as per said act.
Food licensing authority has taken action for the food industry to safeguard the food products which are checked in various parameters to ensure the quality of the food and safe for human consumption and result in reducing the cases of adulteration and contamination of food which is sub-standard in quality. Thus, it is mandatory to obtain food license or registration it depends upon location and an annual turnover of the food business operator.
What is the Eligibility to Get Registration or Food License India?
Basically, these are three types of license:
- Basic Registration
- State Food License
- Central Food License
For obtaining registration or license, it is depending upon annual turnover of the food business and location of the business.
If annual turnover is less than INR. 12 lakhs then, basic registration need to be obtained; or
If annual turnover is more than INR.12 lakhs but up to INR. 20 crores to do business in a particular state then State food license is required to be obtained; or
If annual turnover is more than INR. 20 crores to do business in more than one state then Central food license is required to be obtained.
Other criteria for the location of the business, number of retail stores are needed to be evaluated at the time of getting a license.
FSSAI State License Eligibility
|1.||All food processing units including re-labelers and repackers||More than 100 kg/ liter to 2MT per day|
|2.||Dairy Product including milk chilling units equipped to handle or process||501 liters per day to 50000 liters per day or more than 2.5 MT of milk solids per annum.|
|3.||Vegetable oil processing units||Up to 2 MT/day and Turnover more than 12 lakhs.|
|4.||Slaughtering Units||– A large animal more than 2 and up to 50
– Small animals more than 10 up to 150
– Poultry birds more than 50 and up to 1000 per day
|5.||Wholesaler||Turnover up to 30 Crores|
|6.||Meat Processing unit||500 kg meat per day or 150 MT per annum|
|7.||Retailer/ Distributor/ Supplier/ caterer||Turnover up to 20 Crore|
FSSAI Central License Eligibility
|1.||All food processing units including re-labelers and repackers||More than 2 MT per day|
|2.||Dairy Product including milk chilling units equipped to handle or process||More than 50 liters per day milk or more than 2500 MT of milk solids per annum.|
|3.||Vegetable oil processing units||More than 2 MT per day|
|4.||Slaughtering Units||– A large animal more than 50 per day
– Small animals more than 150 per day
– Poultry birds more than 1000 per day
|5.||Wholesaler||Turnover more than 30 Crores|
|6.||Meat Processing unit||More than 500 kg meat per day or 150 MT per annum|
|7.||Retailer/ Distributor/ Supplier/ caterer||Turnover more than 20 Crore|
How to apply for Registration or License?
Procedure for Basic registration
Who wants to commence its food business has to apply online for FSSAI registration for this necessary document are required to be submitted.
- For licensing, he must have an active phone number as well as email id for submission of Form A.
- Food business operators have to fill accurate details of their respective name in the application as it will appear in the license.
- After the submission of application then the system will give you a unique reference id which is to be used in every application.
- Next step to the payment of a fee. It can be paid by taking a printout of acknowledgment and online application form and make demand draft from the bank of the specified
Procedure for Central License Application
- Every food business operator, who wants to do business in more than one state, they must provide correct data to FSSAI department in Form B.
- Supported documents must be attached to same as board resolution, owner self-declaration.
- Make sure that food production must be approved and falls under FSS Act, 2006
- Write down generic names not a brand name like soybean oil, flavored milk.
- You can add a new product by click on select food category in the site of the FSSAI
- You can submit the form by applying electronic signature or download the form to submit offline.
- As per your requirement choose an appropriate number of years for which you are looking for FSSAI License.
Procedure for State License Application
- Who wants to commence its food business in a particular state and meet their eligibility, they can apply through Form B.
- The procedure for the state licensing is similar to Central licensing as stated above.
Every person is health conscious in this world and they prefer to eat the best quality and approved food by FSSAI, after the checking the quality of the food this license will grant to food business operator to do business. So, every food business operator mandatorily to take food license by FSSAI as it certifies the quality of the food as per the standard of FSS Act.