FSSAI stands for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India and it is a regulatory authority formed by Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 which is looked over by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India.
The objective of the FSSAI is to ensure that any and all food that is manufactured, distributed or sold in India is safe for consumption. In order to complete its objective, the FSSAI requires all food-related businesses to either register with FSSAI or get a license from them. FSSAI licenses and registration regulates the manufacture, storage, distribution, sale and the import of food items and hence it is mandatory for all the Food Business Operators (FBOs) in order to obtain an FSSAI License.
Register for FSSAI Central License
- Food business operators such as the Importers, 100% Export Oriented Units, large manufacturers, operators in the Central Government agencies, airports, seaports etc. are however required to obtain a Central Food License.
- FSSAI Central License is required for FBO having an annual turnover of above 20 Crores.
- Form B is the FSSAI License form to be filled by the FOB while applying for FSSAI Central License.
FSSAI Central License Procedure
- Visit the FSSAI website and click on Sign-up and FBO’s are required to have a valid personal e-mail ID and mobile number which should be kept active.
- Make a unique username which is not already registered with the site and after filling up the form click on Register to complete the sign-up process.
- An online account will be created with FSSAI, once sign-up is successful and one will get a message ‘account successfully created.’ via SMS and via e-mail too.
- This user ID is valid for 30 days so make sure you apply online within 30 days or this user ID will be disabled after 30 days.
- Open the page with the username and password created and fill the details in the Online Application Form.
- On successful submission of application, the system will generate a Unique Reference Id for the application.
- Take a print out of the “Acknowledgment” and “Online Application Form” and attach the Demand Draft for the fee (if payment mode is Demand Draft) and supported documents (Refer Document Checklist above) required as part of the application and submit the application to your State Authority or Regional Office of Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, within 15 days from the date of submission of application online.
- One can track the progress of the application for Registration or License with the help of the reference number.
- Once the application is approved a 14-digit FSSAI Registration number is provided which consist the information about the manufacturer’s license or registration details, and the manufacturing state.