The food industry is the fastest growing industry in India. To maintain the food safety standards it is crucial to implement and abide by the regulations effectively. FSSAI is the apex authority that is created for laying down science-based standards for the food products in the country. The FSSAI ensure the availability of the wholesome, quality and safe product for the consumption of the end user.
For all the food business operators that are involved in the storage, manufacturing, processing, transportation, and distribution of the food products it is imperative to obtain the registration and licensing from FSSAI. In India, FSSAI is the ultimate authority that issues the license and registration under the Food Safety and Standard Act 2006. FSSAI is the apex authority that is governed by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India.
Some of the key functions of the FSSAI (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India) are mentioned below-
- To Lay down the science-based standards for all food products
- To regulate the manufacturing, storage, distribution, import and sales of the food products in India
- To Provide advice and technical support to the central and state Government in the matter of formulating the rules and policies related to the food safety and nutrition
- Prevention of the food adulteration
- Conduct a survey of administration and enforcement of this Act
- To facilitate and promote awareness of food safety in India
- To formulate guidelines for the laboratories food testing
The FSSAI plays a huge role in making sure that the Food Business Operatorfulfills all the food safety compliance and abide by the rules so that the consumer gets safe, wholesome and quality food for consumption. The Food business operator requires fulfilling all the mandatory requirements to acquire the license and registration by FSSAI to start or run their food business India. The FBO need to apply for the registration or the license and registration separately and based on the annual turnover FBO has to either apply for the registration or license. However, most of the time there is confusion related to whether an entity or person requires an FSSAI License or not. Below is discussed the difference between the FSSAI license and FSSAI registration.
FSSAI registration is needed for all the Food business operators or any person or entity who-
- Manufacturers or sells any type of food product by themselves, or petty retailer, hawker, temporary stall holder, itinerant vendor etc,
- Someone who distributes the foods products during any gatherings like religious or social gathering, but is not a caterer
- Any other Food business operator including cottage and small-scale industry related to food business or any food business whose annual turnover is not over Rs 12 Lakhs.
- Additionally, Food business operator whose food production capacity is not over 100 kg or liter a day, or the handling or procurement and collection of Milk per day is not exceeding over 500 liters a day, or the slaughtering capacity is not above 2 large animals or 10 small animals or 50 poultry birds per day or less
Food business operators need to submit Form A when applying for the FSSAI registration. Form A is the basic form to be filled which comprise of a Food business operator (FBO’s) Business Activities. Along with the Form A the FBO’s need to submit the other important documents as per their business activities. FSSAI License
Any person or entity or food business operators need to acquire the FSSAI license in order to operate the food business in India. The FSSAI License is basically two types of the-
- State FSSAI License
- Central FSSAI License
Based on the nature and the size of the food business the FBO need to obtain the FSSAI license from the licensing relevant authority which. The large FBO’s that are involved in manufacturing, processing, selling, importing, transportation and distribution of the food products need to obtain the Central FSSAI License and the medium-sized FBO’s to obtain a State FSSAI License for operating their business. This food license granted by FSSAI is location specific and is termed bound.
Any Food business operator that is in the food business need to obtain the FSSAI License-
- If the Food business operator whose annual turnover is more than 12 lakhs
- Any Food business whose production capacity is more 100 kg or liter a day, or the handling and collection of Milk per day is over 500 liters a day or the slaughtering capacity is more than 2 large animals or 10 small animals or 50 poultry birds per day.
The FSSAI License is granted for a period of 1 to 5 years. The FSSAI license needs to be renewed before its expiry that is not less than 30 days. If the food business operators need a license for more years then they need to pay a higher fee.
To obtain the License the food business operators need to fill and submit the Form B which is a mandatory document to apply for the FSSAI License. The food business operators with the annual turnover between 12 to 20 lakhs need to fill the State License (FORM B) and the food business operators with the annual turnover above 20 lakhs need to fill the Central License (FORM C). Additionally, after obtaining the License the Food business operators (FBOs) require to display the License Format a prominent place in the premise and they must inform the authorities about and modifications and changes in business activities.
All the food business operators must follow the food safety and standard regulations strictly and need to conform to the regulations laid by FSSAI. It is imperative for the FBO’s to follow the food safety laws very careful and ensure fulfilling all requirements or otherwise they will be liable for penalties or cancellation of their existing registration or license for operating the food business.
To get the detailed information on the FSSAI Registration and FSSAI License on can visit the FSSAI website. Also, one can download the needed Forms and submit them online.