What is FSSAI?
FSSAI or Food Safety and Standards Authority of India passed a Food Safety and Standard Act, 2006. Under this act, any food establishment needs to follow the laws regulated by FSSAI. This act was passed to promote hygiene and improvement in the quality of food provided by the food industry. Post the introduction of the act, the food industry has gone through a tremendous change. No person should start a food business without proper registration certificate or FSSAI License provided by FSSAI.
The FSSAI license is issued by the Family Health and Welfare Ministry of the Indian government. To commence a food business, an application needs to be submitted to FSSAI in an approved format. After the submission of application and required documents, FSSAI will provide an approval. There is much FSSAI registration Company today who can help you through the registration process smoothly.
Things to Know Before Applying for FSSAI License
Before even applying for FSSAI license, you must understand few points:-
- FSSAI license is divided into two categories, state level, and Central license. Small hotels, restaurants, cafes or food manufacturers or whose annual turnover is between Rs 12 lac – 20 crores are entitled to state insurance and large-scale food manufacturers or anybody whose annual turnover is above Rs 20 crore are entitled to a central license.
- Wherever your food would travel, you would need a separate license for each location. Hence, any individual or entity dealing with food in multiple locations must acquire multiple FSSAI licenses.
- Hawkers, street food vendors or small-scale food businesses are exempted from FSSAI License.
- The validity of the license is up to 2 years. However, you can get is renewed for the further term as per your business requirements.
Documents Required for the Registration Process
Applying for an FSSAI license, here is the list of documents that need to be attached:-
- FSSAI application form
- Authority letter from Director, partner or proprietor
- Copy of property papers (if self-owned)
- In the case of rented property, a copy of the rent agreement
- Plan for food safety management
- Electricity bill or water bill of the business place
- Individual copies of Aadhar Card/Voters ID or PAN Card of each proprietor, partner or director
- A canceled cheque
- VAT or service Tax registration certificate
If you are a food manufacturer, then you would need to submit additional documents along with aforesaid:-
- Complete layout plan for a manufacturing unit
- List of all equipment and machinery
- List of food categories that would be manufactured
- Water contamination report on pesticide residue
- Production unit photograph
How to use FSSAI License Number?
- A 14 digit number is issued as a license number that provides complete information about the food business owner
- The business owner is required to display the FSSAI logo along with the license number on each food label of each package
- In the case of imported food items, the FSSAI logo and license number in conjunction with the name and address of the importer must be displayed on a sticker to clear customs.